Welcome to my first blog post! I’m very thrilled to start writing this blog! It’s something that’s been sitting on my mind for a very long time and I’m so glad I was finally able to clear my calendar and focus on creating this inspirational and hopefully useful tool for you. Beginnings are always hard but if you do something out of passion, it should flow easily. So I hope you will enjoy reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it.
I thought a lot about what my first blog post should be: should I introduce myself, explain why I’m actually creating this blog or should I just get down to business straight away and start sharing my beauty tips and what have worked for me. So I did a little bit of research based on what my friends and family constantly ask me and I’ve decided to start with the very basics and share my everyday makeup routine with you. It’s the look that I’m wearing 80% of the time and it literally takes about 15 minutes to create (cause ain’t nobody has more time for this in the morning 🙂 ). For those of you who don’t really know me or know me a little through Instagram or Facebook, I‘ve created a separate ABOUT ME page where you can get to know me better and read my story.
Ok let’s get started. When it comes to my everyday makeup routine, I like to keep it natural but with a little bit of glam. You will always see me with a highlighter on my cheeks and probably with a winged black liner on my eyes. In fact, I’m a serious addict of black liner which I use most of the time. I really think that it helps elongate and enlarge the eyes, while adding that extra definition. I also typically wear a nude lipstick. If I want to feel a little bit more spiced up, I sometimes apply a few individual lashes here and there to add more definition and make my eyes pop a bit more.
Below is the breakout of all the products that I constantly use as well as a brief explanation why I think they are so good:
1. Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation – it’s my holy grail! If you’re working long days and need your makeup to last, that’s one of the best foundations out there that you can use. It stays looking fresh and natural all day long and it does not cake or crease. It also helps withstand humidity or sweat so I use it a lot for my brides as well. I always apply it with my damp beauty blender and I keep “beating” my face with it for at least a minute or so. Trust me, it really helps blend the foundation with your skin and prolong its longevity throughout the day. Be sure to also apply a little bit of foundation to your neck and around the ears as well to create a seamless transition.
2. It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye Concealer – I never leave my house without this concealer. It really helps cover the under eye circles and make this area super bright and flawless. It also has anti-aging benefits so it’s another plus for me. Just be sure to set it well with the loose powder as it tends to crease if you don’t. I use it in color light but I found that color medium works better for the majority of my clients (I’m super pale). Basically, it’s important to use concealer that’s one shade lighter than your foundation as you want to highlight the area.
3. Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder – Before I apply a blush or bronzer, I first set my foundation with this powder. This will not only prolong my makeup, but it will also create a flawless, soft-focus effect. The translucent color is perfect for all skin tones and it doesn’t settle into lines or pores. If your skin is on a super dry side, I would apply a very small amount. Don’t be scared if the skin initially appears too matte. A slight glow should return to your face after a few minutes.
4. Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Blush in color “Glisten” – it has just the perfect shimmery peachy pink shade that’s flattering to almost all skin tones. I apply it to my cheek bones while smiling and keep blending until I achieve the desired look.
5. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in “Soft and Gentle” – I’m a highlighter girl for sure so I like to add a little bit of glow (even for a natural every day look) to the highest point of my cheek bones, just above my lips and on the tip of the nose using this product. This really helps make you look more naturally radiant and rested.
6. Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow – brows are SO important. They frame your face and are one of the most important facial features. But not all of us are blessed with a set of bold beauties at birth, so we need to fake it 🙂 I use Anastasia’s dip brow in color soft brow and an angled brow brush to outline and fill my brows. It’s a long lasting and smudge-proof ointment formula that glides on easily and dries fast. It does however require a precise hand so if you feel less confident about shaping your brows at first, I would start with their duo powder as it gives you more control. Brow tutorial is one of the most requested tutorials by my friends so I will be sure to write a separate post about my specific technique soon.
7. MAC Frost Eyeshadow in color “Phloof” – “What do you use in your inner corners?” – I get that question a lot. Well, the secret is out. I use this shadow in my inner corners and underneath the brow bone to make my eyes appear more awake and brighter. You can also use any type of the shimmery or frosted light eyeshadow to achieve similar effect.
8. Urban Decay Cosmetics Naked Basic Palette – I sometimes use this palette to softly define my crease. It features six neutral shades that can create the perfect natural matte eye. What’s great about this palette is that it is very versatile and you can easily transition your daytime makeup into your stronger nighttime makeup using the darker colors.
9. Inglot Liquid Eyeliner #25 – My all time favorite. I love a winged eye look on my eyes. If I’m not wearing an eyeliner, I always have a feeling that something is missing and that my makeup is not complete. I love this eyeliner because it very pigmented and creates a solid, super black color. It dries fast and does not smudge as well. However, I know that applying a perfect line (especially with liquid eyeliner) is very challenging for a lot of girls, so I would suggest starting with a black pencil or with a gel liner (you can get this gel liner from Nyx Cosmetics) as it gives you more control and manageability. If a wing is not your thing, you shouldn’t abandon the liner all together. Use it to create a thin line as close to your natural lashes as possible. This will instantly make your lashes look fuller.
10. Loreal Voluminous Mascara – My go to mascara of all ages. I love a full lash look and this mascara does it for me. It adds great volume and length and does not clump. Plus, it’s also super affordable. If you want a more dramatic and fuller looking lashes (just as mine), be sure to apply 2 coats of this mascara.
11. Nyx Cosmetics Matte Lipstick in color “Spirit” – my everyday look would not be complete without a nude lip. This velvety non-glossy lipstick is highly pigmented and stays put for hours. I also recently love using NYX Lingerie Liquid Lipstick in color “Bedtime Flirt” – it’s a better choice for those of you who are looking to add more color to your lips.
These are the top 11 products that I use basically every day. The look that I wear is pretty basic and I feel like anyone at every makeup level should be able to create something similar. I hope these tips and product recommendations were useful for you and that they will help you improve your everyday makeup routine.
SHOP MY LOOK:
Hi! What color do you use in the Estée Lauder foundation? We have similar skin tones (i.e., really pale)– I currently use Ecru, and am curious to know what you’re wearing!
Hi Meg! Thanks for your note. I use color 1W1 bone, which is pale yellow to ivory with warm undertones. It looks like you use a very similar shade – they only differ in undertones as yours has more neutral undertones. I used to mix different foundations before I found this color as I never was able to find just the right color, and this one works great for me. Let me know if you have any other questions. Xx